Menstruation is the biological process that every woman experiences every month. It generally starts from 12-13 years and stops at 52-55 years of age, and is usually termed menarche and menopause, respectively. There are chances of severe infections during menstruation that need to be managed. There are lots of communities that still lack knowledge and primary sanitation products. According to a study, approximately 2.3 billion people lack essential sanitation services. It is vital to maintain personal hygiene to minimize the chances of infections. According to Our CEO Cristiana Sandor, This blog comprised the top 4 advantages of personal hygiene. Read further to know them all.
What is Personal Hygiene Management?
Personal hygiene refers to adopting healthy & hygienic habits to protect oneself from various infections & unpleasant experiences. It includes-
- Bathing daily
- Changing pads often or within the prescribed standard time
- Using the correct method of sanitation
- Proper storage of sanitary products
- Washing your hands properly after every pad change
- Discarding the sanitary products properly
Top 4 Advantages of Personal Hygiene Management
- Removes Bad Odour Menstruation involves shedding an unfertilised egg, blood, and uterine lining tissues. It is normal to experience a slight odour after it exits the vagina. Although it is an entirely vaginal substance, bacteria and acidity also impact it. Smell during periods may fluctuate and represent your menstrual health & hygiene. Healthy periods have a slight odour and sometimes a slight metallic smell from iron and bacteria.
- Protects from infections Various infections might affect a woman’s body due to poor menstrual hygiene. Urinary tract infections & reproductive tract infections are at the top of the list. In urinary tract infections, the harmful bacteria develop during the periods and enter into the urinary tract & irritate the mucosal region. Reproductive tract infections are infections that affect the reproductive part of the body. In this, bacteria developed due to period blood which further entered into the mucosal membrane resulting in sepsis and associated complications. Apart from these, poor menstrual hygiene also promotes the growth of cervical cancer, hepatitis B and yeast infection. Following good menstrual hygiene helps women to protect themselves from these infections.
- Avoid Social Discomfort Undoubtedly, personal hygiene says a lot about a person. A lack of personal hygiene, such as foul odour, using uncomfortable pads, and wearing unfitted clothes, makes a person underconfident. It becomes more challenging for them to socialize and sometimes affects their productivity at work. Therefore, maintaining proper personal hygiene is essential to avoid social discomfort & help people in staying healthy.
- Save others from infections too Practices such as not disposing of sanitary products appropriately & not washing hands are the main reasons behind spreading yeast and fungal infections. Maintaining proper personal hygiene is essential to save others from infections. Cover your used sanitary products effectively & do not dispose of them in a way that might harm others.
On the other hand, unhealthy periods have a robust foul smell accompanied by itching, irritation, vaginal discharge and burning during urination. Hence, maintaining personal hygiene removes any bad & foul smell and protects you from getting vaginal infections. Changing pads frequently, using the suitable sanitation method, and following the correct washing technique are some practices women should adopt to remove foul odour.
Practicing menstrual hygiene does not involve following anti-bacterial solid preparations. Following the suitable sanitation method, using clean, sanitary products, disposing of sanitary products properly, eating healthy and proper storage of sanitary products are some of the practices that women should adopt for better menstrual health & hygiene practices. Maintaining personal hygiene helps remove foul odour, provide protection against infections, avoid any unpleasant social experience, and help in saving others from diseases too.
Frequently Asked Questions-
1. What is meant by Personal Hygiene Management?
Personal hygiene refers to adopting healthy & hygienic habits to protect oneself from various infections & unpleasant experiences.
2. What are the advantages of personal hygiene management?
Personal hygiene helps remove foul odours, protect from infection, avoid social discomfort, and protect others from infections.
3. What practices should women follow for good menstrual health & hygiene?
Following the suitable method of sanitation, using clean sanitary products, disposing of sanitary products properly, eating healthy and proper storage of sanitary products are some of the practices that women should adopt for better menstrual health & hygiene practices.